PremisesPremises Cases: How to Tell if You Have a Case and What You Can Do

December 30, 2023

Did you suffer an injury on someone’s property because of their negligence? Was there an unsafe condition on someone’s property that caused you and yours harm? If so, then you very well may have what’s called a “premises case.” Here at Gratt & Associates, we’ve helped so many over the years to receive the compensation they deserved for premises cases. Now, we can put that experience to work for you and yours. 

Common Types of NY Premises Cases 

The manager and/or owner of a property has a duty of care to the different people who come onto their premises. If they violate that duty of care, you could have a case. 


For example, most of our premise liability clients are “invitees.” They were specifically invited onto the property by the owner, and thus have to be warned about any hazards and dangers. This includes family members, friends, or someone who eats at a restaurant, potential customers at a store, and so forth. A business owner/manager owes them a high duty of care. 


We’ve also represented what are called “licensees,” someone allowed to be on a property and is there for their own, self-interested purposes. Think of this such as salespeople, etc. Again, the owner/manager has to warn them of any dangers, make sure the licensee knows about them, etc. 

Someone who enters a property without the owner/manager’s permission, a trespasser, isn’t owed a duty of care. An owner/manager won’t face liability for their injuries. If you have any questions about your case, it’s worth it to sit down with us. 

How We Prove a Premise Case 

First, the moment you sign with us, we start an investigation into your accident. We look for evidence that the owner/manager was negligent, that they knew a danger existed, and failed to properly warn others. Alternatively, we may be able to prove that they caused the hazard in the first place. 

For many clients, we’ve also been able to prove that this negligence on the owner/manager’s part is what led to your accident. Then, we also have to prove that you were injured on the premises and need compensation for it.

premises case

Experienced Attorneys for Premises Cases 

If you were hurt on someone else’s property, you can receive compensation for your medical bills, yes, but also for the wages you may have lost on account of being unable to work due to your injury. In fact, you can even receive compensation for your pain, your suffering, your loss of enjoyment of life, and much more. 

You don’t have to pay for our services unless we win. Even when we do, our payment will come out of your settlement. From the time of your accident, you have three years to file a case. The sooner you reach out to us, the sooner we can get to work for you. To schedule a free case evaluation, message us through our site or call. 

Translate »